Greece to buy 18 Rafale Fighters, 4 Frigates, 4 MH-60 Seahawk Helicopters to boost defense
The Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis made announcements in the Thessaloniki Helexpo Forum regarding the strengthening of the National Defense in 6 areas, both in terms of armaments programs and in terms of personnel reinforcement.
In particular, the Prime Minister announced that Greece is to buy:
- 18 Rafale fighters
- 4 new frigates
- 4 Romeo MH-60 Seahawk helicopters,
- New Anti-tank, Torpedo and guided Missiles
Furthermore he anounced:
- The Modernization of 4 Frigates Class Meko-200HN
- The hiring of 15,000 military personel in the next five years
- the strengthening and activating of the National Defense Industry which will be given important roles and responsibilities in this new era for the Armed Forces in sectors such as National Shipyards, Hellenic Vehicle Industry (ELVO), Hellenic Aerospace Industry (EAB) and many more.
- Greek Armed Forces are being strengthened and modernized in their operation in the digital sector, so that they can defend themselves against hybrid attacks and threats.
The Rafale is a French twin-engine, multirole fighter aircraft designed and built by Dassault Aviation. Equipped with a wide range of weapons, the Rafale is intended to perform air supremacy, interdiction, aerial reconnaissance, ground support, in-depth strike, anti-ship strike and nuclear deterrence missions. It is referred to as an “omnirole” aircraft by Dassault.
The six decisions regarding the Greek Defense
In detail, the six decisions announced by the Prime Minister and as he said “multiply the power, functionality and effectiveness of Greek weapons are the following:
- Our Air Force immediately acquires a squadron of 18 Rafale fighter jets while replacing the older Mirage. These are 4th Generation Excellence aircraft. A movement that strengthens our deterrent power. This, in combination with the modernized F-16 and the rest of the Greek wings, can not be ignored by anyone.
- The Navy is launching the procedures for joining the fleet of 4 new Multi-Role Frigates. At the same time, it modernizes and upgrades 4 MEKO Frigates, which it already has. The new boats will also be accompanied by 4 naval helicopters ROMEO. The most combative in the world. Thus, our seas are shielded more effectively than ever.
- The arsenal of all three Defense Branches is fully reinforced: New anti-tank weapons for the Army. New heavy-duty torpedoes for the Navy, new guided missiles for our Air Force. The doctrine in this area is: “Every weapon system works as long as it lives, as it should and where it is needed”.
- The capacity of our Armed Forces is renewed with the recruitment of 15,000 men and women over a 5-year horizon. At the same time, the whole context of military service and training is being re-evaluated. So that our young people can acquire certified skills for free. In other words, professional supplies for their political life, as long as they serve in the military.
- We are activating our Defense Industry. Already, in the Elefsina Shipyards, American funds are investing in their modernization. A strategic investor will soon enter the Scaramanga shipyards, keeping the jobs. The tender process has been completed, the completion of the privatization of Hellenic Vehicle Industry (ELVO) is imminent in the near future. And the Hellenic Aerospace Industry (EAB) is reorganized, to be transformed into an aircraft maintenance center for the wider area.
- The Greek Armed Forces are enhancing their digital function. But also their protection from hybrid type cyber attacks. At each of their business levels, modern systems are installed that ensure a secure flow of information and therefore timely mobilization.
These are six brave choices. Six bold answers not only to the needs of the times. But also in the challenges of History “.
See related article: